Education: B.Arch (GGSIPU, Delhi) 2005 , MSc Conservation of Historic Buildings (University of Bath, England) 2008
Tapasya Samal is an architect (IP University, Delhi) with an MSc in Conservation of Historical Buildings (University of Bath, England). Currently an Associate Professor at Sushant School of Design she is Head of Department Interior Architecture and Interior Design. During her five years’ teaching tenure Sushant School of Art and Architecture, she has taught an array of subjects where heritage sensitivity has been factored into the core syllabi including second year Architectural Design Studio, Architectural Thesis, History of Modern and Contemporary Architecture, Adaptive Reuse (elective) and Architectural Dissertation. She has engaged with many project teams consulting as a heritage conservation professional, occupied with documentation and adaption or restoration of projects across the Indian states of Punjab, Uttar Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan, Bihar, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Jharkhand. She volunteers as co-convenor INTACH Gurgaon Chapter in her spare time besides conducting research in heritage.
Research Interest: Historic Interiors, Heritage conservation, interpretation and promotion including tangible and intangible, Up-gradation, utilities management and adaptive reuse of historic building, historic evolution of building typology, industrial and military heritage (forts), documentation and listing, Building construction & conservation process, Museum design.
Projects: Currently part of project team for- ‘Conservation and adaptation of Pratapner Fort, Etawah’ in the SCRC cell at SSAA. Lately she has been involved with the Viceregal Lodge Shimla (with DRONAH, Gurgaon), Adaptive Reuse of Old Moti Bagh Palace at Patiala (with DRONAH, Gurgaon) and the Conservation proposal for French Soldier Jean Etienne’s Tomb at Jharsa, Gurgaon (INTACH Gurgaon).
Tapasya has previously engaged in a range of Heritage projects, collaborated with several individuals and agencies. Some of the salient projects include- 13th Finance Commission Project in Punjab (Patiala Circle), Punjab; Up-gradation & Development of Shaheed Bhagat Singh Museum at Khatkar Kalan, Punjab; Upgradation of Existing Infrastructure & Utility Services in Baba Baidyanath Temple Campus at Deoghar, Jharkhand; Preparation of Detailed Project Report for Ghats, Kunds&Sarovars at Gaya, Bihar; Conservation Master Plan for City Palace Museum, Udaipur.
Articles, Book chapters |
- Samal, T., Madan A. (Ed.) and Dandona, B (Ed.), 2019. Rakhigarhi – 3 perspectives – 3 scales, Gurgaon: SSAA Publications. (2019, in press)
- ‘Cultural Landscape of Chambal-Yamuna Basin’ | Paper published as a part of International Conference on “Conversations in Conservation” SHAAPED 2019, February 21st -23rd, 2019 (2019, in press)
- ‘Evolving Cultural Heritage of the Sacred Abode of God, Deoghar’ | Paper published as a part of National Seminar on Culture as a fourth pillar of Sustainable Development- “Rejuvenation of Culturally Significant Cities” (2018, in press)
- Rakhigarhi: Architectural Memory, an article for INTACH Newsletter, August 2016.
- Historic Building Transformation: the Opportunities & Limitations of Environmentally Responsive Adaptation of Industrial Architecture, an article for ABACUS, Journal on Architecture, Conservation and Urban Studies, BIT, Mesra, Volume 4, number 1, Spring 2009.
- ’Green Building Movement’, an Article for CCPS Journal (2005) Article published in the Annual journal of Confederation of Construction Products and Services.
Conference or Workshop Items |
- Heritage Walks: conducted walks for students, visitors and professionals at various sites across the Indian state of Haryana for Indian National Trust for Arts, Culture and Heritage (Haryana and Hissar Chapters) including sites of Hissar, Hansi, Rakhigarhi, etc. 2017-19.
- Exhibition: JKC Exhibition on Life and Works of Cyrus Jhabvala, at SSAA between 12th Feb-11th March 2019. (Facilitated, coordinated and set up an exhibition of works of one of the Modern architects in India, Cyrus Jhabwala at Sushant School of Art and Architecture.)
- Workshop: Faculty Training Program on “Preparation of project briefs” for various studio subjects at Poornima University, Jaipur. July 20th 2018. (Designed and conducted a one day workshop for creating Design Studio briefs for 25 faculty members teaching from first to fifth year at the Planning and Architecture Department of Poornima University)
- Workshop: Adaptive Reuse Basics. (A five day workshop organised by SSAA in collaboration with INTACH Heritage Academy). June 5th-9th, 2017. at Sushant School of Art and Architecture (Gurgaon) as a Speaker and Course Coordinator.
- Rakhigarhi, an Initiative for Continuum (A two day workshop organised by SSAA in collaboration with INTACH Haryana Chapter and Institute for Tourism Studies, Macao). February 10-11, 2017. at Sushant School of Art and Architecture (Gurgaon) as Speaker and Course Coordinator.
- Led a group of 46 students from Chitkara School of Planning and Architecture and the Institute of Tourism studies, Macau during a joint workshop on Interpretation and Presentation of heritage at the site of Qila Mubarak Patiala (Punjab). (March 2015)
- Led a team of International experts of ICOFORT National Scientific Committee during a visit across region of Punjab to all the Fort sites. (February 2015)
- Training Workshop -Documentation of Monuments, Sites & Antiquities in Haryana, March 2011 at Thanesar, Kurukshetra (Speaker at one day workshop organised by INTACH Haryana and NNMA held at the Shree Krishna Museum , Thanesar.)
- Structural Stabilization and Site Conservation , July 2006 at Udaipur City Palace. [Coordinated a five day workshop organised by MMCF (Udaipur) and TVB School of Habitat Studies , New Delhi held at the City Palace Museum , Udaipur for the Getty Masterplan program.]
- Documentation of Historic Architecture .May 2006 at Udaipur City Palace. [Coordinated a five day workshop organised by MMCF (Udaipur) and Birla Institute of Technology , Mesra held at the City Palace Museum , Udaipur for the Getty Masterplan program.]